Standard Business Sponsorship (482, 494)
Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS) is a program that allows Australian businesses to sponsor overseas workers to fill skilled job vacancies in Australia. SBS sponsors are approved by the Department of Home Affairs and can nominate workers for a Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482) or a Skilled Employer-Sponsored visa (subclass 494).
To be approved as an SBS, a business must meet the following requirements:
- Be legally established and currently operating in Australia or overseas.
- Have no adverse information regarding its business or its directors.
- Have a strong record of, or a demonstrated commitment to, employing local labor.
- Be able to provide the nominated worker with a genuine and full-time position that meets the requirements of the relevant occupation list.
- Be able to pay the nominated worker the appropriate salary for the position.
- Be able to meet the sponsorship obligations that apply to SBS sponsors.
SBS sponsors are subject to a number of sponsorship obligations, including:
- Employing the nominated worker under a written contract of employment.
- Paying the nominated worker the appropriate salary for the position.
- Providing the nominated worker with equivalent terms and conditions of employment to those of an Australian worker.
- Not supplying or being involved in recruiting or hiring the nominated worker to another business.
- Not making any false or misleading statements in relation to the sponsorship.
The benefits of becoming an SBS include:
- The ability to sponsor overseas workers to fill skilled job vacancies in Australia.
- The ability to sponsor workers for a longer period of time (up to 4 years for TSS visas and up to 5 years for Skilled Employer-Sponsored visas).
- The ability to sponsor workers for a wider range of occupations.
- A simplified application process for nominating workers.
If you are an Australian business that is looking to sponsor overseas workers, you should consider applying for SBS status. SBS status can provide you with a number of benefits that can help you to fill skilled job vacancies in Australia.
|Application process||More complex||More straightforward|
|Range of occupations that can be sponsored||More limited||Wider range|
|Duration of sponsorship||Up to 4 years for TSS visas, up to 5 years for Skilled Employer-Sponsored visas||Up to 5 years for both TSS and Skilled Employer-Sponsored visas|
|Sponsorship obligations||More stringent||Less stringent|